Thursday, August 25, 2011

Easy Colonial Recipe

Hello Friends,

Most of us like new recipes, but this one is certainly not a new one. When I was writing the biography about Kate Moore Barry, I found this simple recipe for shortbread cookies. I have made them, and they are delicious. They are good with a cup of tea or coffee in the afternoon, and a delicious aroma invades your home while they are baking. I have taken them with me on some author visits, and the reviews have been favorable. Is it not amazing that a recipe from over 200 years ago can still be enjoyed by us today? I hope you might find time to bake a few for you and your family, and I believe they won't stay around long.

Shortbread Cookies

1 cup sugar
1 cup butter
1 cup flour
Blend all the ingredients, and bake until golden brown in a moderate oven.

There are a few hints that will make this easier. The butter needs to be softened. Even though the batter can be blended with a wooden spoon, a mixer makes it quicker. I combined the sugar and butter and then slowly added the flour. Using an ungreased cookie sheet, I dropped a teaspoon of batter and baked them in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes. Knowing our ovens are different, you might want to watch the first batch. This recipe only made about 24 small cookies.

Aren't we glad we can use the gauges of our ovens to determine the temperature and don't have to see if the hairs on our arms are singed by the heat!?!

Happy Baking! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home